I decided to do something constructive with my weekend. I have a lot of projects lying around unfinished, and random optimizations to do on my sites, so I tidied things up a little. To start with, I upgraded the coding on marcqualie.com, added a share bar and made the site load faster by tidying up loose ends. Then I remembered Squiggle Canvas.
For those of you who have used this tool before, you will have noticed it's been offline for quite a while now, and since I missed it, I brought it back. I have huge plans for this project, as I enjoy working on it, and it's useful for all people to use. I am currently working on a fully redesigned system for Squiggle Canvas, however I don't have time to complete it right now, so I have uploaded the old version, with a few enhancements.
Changes I Have Made:
- Upgraded to use Mootools 1.2.5 (I was going to use 1.3, as I use that on all of my projects now, however the internal engine would have taken too much recoding)
- Optimized the way the mouse events are handled. I noticed there was quite a bit of lag when drawing on large documents. This was due to the way I was handling mouse events and DOM interaction. This has been fixed, so lag should be minimal in all browsers.
- Google Image Search has been improved so there is no lag when dragging and resizing images. Again, this was to my lazy implementation of mouse event handling.
- You can no longer modify your projects after you have closed them, nor can you modify other people's projects. I have my reasons for doing this, but this feature will be back in the future sometime.
- Server speed and bandwidth increased. Now I can store huge huge drawings for you guys to go wild. I had a few issues with the server hanging when saving massive Squiggle's, but now this isn't an issue.
I think those are the main changes I made, if there are anymore I'm sure you'll find them. For now I'm going to continue working on Squiggle Canvas, and it's many impressive variations, such as a fully integrated Desktop version for all platforms. Try out Squiggle Canvas and let me know what you think of it so I can add improvements to the new system?