One of the huge down-sides of having a static site is the in-ability to do search. It's not impossible, but the solutions out there are no where near as good as their dynamic CMS competitors. Searching a static site is hard. GoStatic now supports the ability to search your entire project without having to do any extra configuration on your end.
Today, I spent longer than I feel comfortable admitting solving a supposedly simple problem in my EmberJS application. Since this particular issue was so frustrating and undocumented I'm going to share my experiences in case someone else comes across the same hair-pulling nightmare in the future.
I've had the same dull blog layout for years. Even in my transition from Blogger to Wordpress and finally Jekyll I've still kept the look similar. While I'm the first to admit that my design skills aren't great, I still thought it would be a fun idea to spent the day making the layout more content focused and less cluttered.
The community tap I created for custom Nginx modules within Homebrew just got accepted into the official Homebrew organization. This is huge news for the project as it means there should be way more usage and contributions thanks to the extra exposure. This is also a good time to share a couple of unannounced updates I added in the last couple of weeks.
Not only does Jekyll power this blog but it has been one of the main tools I use on a daily basis for almost 2 months now. Due to it's growing role in our company I was starting to get fed up with having to manually pull down repositories and ask other team members to do the same, especially when all of our ruby projects are managed via Boxen. This post is to share my knowledge of how I was able to very easily modify a boxen project to work with an install of Jekyll instead of the default ruby setup.